RRBBO13 Lucky 13 - She's Done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stretched leather is the classic look. Save the Mexican blanket for a RAT. That's where it looks best imho, with some flat black and pinstriping.

Carl.

IMG_0665.JPG
IMG_0666.JPG
IMG_0663.jpg
IMG_0654.JPG
IMG_0657.JPG
IMG_0658.JPG
IMG_0659.JPG
IMG_0661.JPG

Wanted to go for a ride, so I chucked it together. There's still a lot of little adjustments to do, but I at least got to go on a little ride today.

That bare seat pan....winner. What is your 'post ride summary, Scribbs? Fit, feel, first impressions...?

That bare seat pan....winner. What is your 'post ride summary, Scribbs? Fit, feel, first impressions...?

Well theres always unknown squeaking and clicking that has to be fixed whenever you put a bike back together. Rear wheel needs some major adjustment. The bare seat pan looks cool but would not hold up to riding, already put new scratches in the black paint from just one ride. So I'll be covering it in black leather, front wheel needs to go back in the truing stand. It refuses to line up with the fender and fork drop outs, it might not effect rides. It just really bugs me when the front wheel is off center from the fender.

As you ride this, keep an eye on the angle of the "seattube" section of the unique seat clamp. On VerBoten, mine ended up bending backwards after a few rides and I had to use a hybrid mounting method. I have a big gut and I cannot lie.

IMG_0677.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0671.JPG

IMG_0679.JPG

IMG_0683.JPG

Added some of the small parts, and fully adjusted the bike. Got really lucky and found a prewar elgin kick stand that actually fits the Twin frame. working Cadet speedo, and a original Boise license plate.

IMG_0687.JPG
IMG_0690.jpg
IMG_0691.jpg
IMG_0700.JPG
IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG
IMG_0697.JPG
IMG_0698.JPG

IMG_0706.JPG
IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG
IMG_0703.JPG
IMG_0704.JPG

Almost there, only need to recover the seat.

Parts list
-Torrington half moon bars
-Original 40s Coke bottle grips
-Prewar Musselman drop center wheels
-50s cream Lighting Darts
-Torrington 10's mens pedals
-Elgin Deco stem
-Working 40s Cadet Speedo
-Lucky 7 seat post
-prewar long spring saddle (think its a Messenger)
-Vintage Boise license plate
-Custom RatRods license plate
-prewar Elgin kickstand
-David Deluxe tubes
-Original Elgin solid sprocket and crank arms

Last edited:
Very neat clean and in good taste “revitalization” of a piece of history. And it leaves open the possibility of someone still doing a complete restoration down the road if the opportunity arises. Elgin’s Rock!
Just need one of those Elgin wings for the front fender.

Tell me about the 'chain ring'. Not mentioned on your list, and TBH, the ONLY part that doesn't fit just right in my eyes.

Maybe it's the fact that it sticks out in that open space in the frame. Not sure exactly, just that my eye is drawn to it.

Tell me about the 'chain ring'. Not mentioned on your list, and TBH, the ONLY part that doesn't fit just right in my eyes.

Maybe it's the fact that it sticks out in that open space in the frame. Not sure exactly, just that my eye is drawn to it.

Thanks I knew I forgot something, the chain ring is the original Elgin solid sprocket.
It does draw your eye, I think that was the point especially on the twin 20 model where there was no chain guard originally.

Thanks I knew I forgot something, the chain ring is the original Elgin solid sprocket.
It does draw your eye, I think that was the point especially on the twin 20 model where there was no chain guard originally.

Now that you explain it that way, it makes sense.

And the 3/4 shot blends the color of it in more too. I think it was that full-on side profile that just caught me off guard!

Looks great, understated and classy.:nod:

If you could pull it off, some simple pin striping on the bare metal would really look nice. Not the wild hot rod stripes but something more traditional from the era like darts on the fork legs and along the edges of the fenders for example. Maybe in cream and blue to match the wheels. Just thinking out loud.

If you could pull it off, some simple pin striping on the bare metal would really look nice. Not the wild hot rod stripes but something more traditional from the era like darts on the fork legs and along the edges of the fenders for example. Maybe in cream and blue to match the wheels. Just thinking out loud.

I does need a little something.....

I does need a little something.....

I agree it needs something, the only problem I have is justifying the cost of having a local pin striper paint the bike. If I was going to have the bike striped I'd almost go the full repaint route and have a auto shop shoot the bike in satin-black. Maybe just putting some pins on the wheels will add some needed detail.
I don't know, perhaps I'll call up a striper and see what it would cost, sadly I don't have steady enough hands to do it my self.

Latest posts

Back