Boiled Linseed Oil ( first try )

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Getting ready to attempt BLO for the first time. Looking for tips and or suggestions on how to go about this. What would be best kind of rags to use and such. Any help would be appreciated.

Thin coat and buff as you go. If you think it needs more, repeat the process after some drying time. I made the mistake of applying it heavy and it just gets sticky and gummy.

Also, be very careful with your used rags, they will ignite if you wad them up in the trash. I recommend that you spread them out in a safe place until they dry out before disposing of them.

I use those blue shop towels that come on a roll like paper towels.
And TRM is right, the towels can ignite. I usually soak mine in water, I don't know if it prevents combustion but I've never had it happen.
Just take caution with that.

Or dispose of rags in metal covered container (Safety Cans sometimes show up at flea markets and estate sales), no oxygen or limited oxygen no combustion. BLO generates heat as it cures.

Anxious to see what you are doing this on! I have not used either but should would like too. I would be afraid the blue shop towells woud leave lint.

Anxious to see what you are doing this on! I have not used either but should would like too. I would be afraid the blue shop towells woud leave lint.
I use the cloth paint/finish wiping towels they sell at HD. When they dry I then use them for cleaning up greasy/degreaser parts and also for wiping off paint stripper residue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I'm going to try the BLO on. Yes those are the rims and tires from My IND CHUCK bike they do fit just barely not sure if they are going to be on finished project though.
jchmanifoldbike1.jpg

I use the cloth paint/finish wiping towels they sell at HD. When they dry I then use them for cleaning up greasy/degreaser parts and also for wiping off paint stripper residue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tip on rags I was thinking about lint issues. have some lint free paper towels at work also, cloth sounds like it could be a better option.

Yes and no still getting parts in trying to go all skiptooth and everything. Have been having trouble staying on it with life getting in the way. Hopefully I will have plenty of time tonight to get out in garage and work for a few hours without to many distractions.

jchspeced.jpg
Got on road today doesn' have skiptooth running gear at this time. Having brake problems as in no brakes. My rim rebuilding skills are still lacking at this time but working on it. Will get there soon hopefully as I would like to make as close to period correct as possible. With modern seat that is.

Latest posts

Back