Dyno Dark Side of the Mooneyes - FINISHED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, everyone.
For a little bit i was hesitating to post this build here, because it does not really fit the category of old-timers, but now when it became anything-goes topic i am glad to take part in it! This is a first time i am participating in a build-off on this website, and i hope not the last one :)
The story begins with me going to CSI by Chopaderos in Amsterdam this summer. I have stayed in Netherlands for some more time and since my bike got a bit damaged in the way i decided to ship it back to Poland where i live instead of riding it. I had an agreement with some guys who did run from NL to PL and back time to time, so i thought it would be fun to get few extra bikes to work with later on (many of you are probably smiling now because you guys know what it means :D ). Once searching through website called Marktplaats (local craiglist) i found Dyno Glide with 144 spokes wheels. It looked awful, but the buyer told me that it is in good rideable condition, so i have picked it up for 65 euro.
When i arrived i was amazed. The bike was awfully, brutally rattle-can painted black, wheels were painted mixture of blue and purple, rust was everywhere. But under the paint it was Tiki Taboo! Non-original wheels (cool 144 spokes though), missing tiki, missing tank, torn and re-wrapped saddle, but original tires and other nice original parts. The bike looked like hurt dirty puppy, that would loose the believe in humanity forever if i won't adopt him, wash and feed! :) I got the bike and decided to restore it later. Unfortunately i was careless enough not to take any good "before" pictures, but i will try to see what i can do.
So that later has come. I was figuring out what can i do with this bike, considering the fact that Dyno frames are too short for me to ride them myself, so the bike is made to be sold later. That means i try to make it look nice in a little budget. And then i realized, probably the best looking Dyno Glides are Mooneyes! I should just make a replica of that bike! 1001 of 1000 :)
I have a set of Dyno Deuce forks lying in the garage, 144 spokes wheels painted black would fit the look perfectly!
The other interesting thing is that i decided to just powdercoat wheels assembled. I have been reading internet for a while about it, and people say very different things about it, but to sum up the coat would hold well, but it would be impossible to true them or change the spokes without destroying the whole paint layer. Considering the fact that 144 spoke wheels are quite strong and rarely need to be trued i decided to take my chances.
Tomorrow i am picking the bike up form the powder coat. I have made the short front fender by cutting the short rear fender from Electra "Punk" i had lying in my garage. Depending on the result of coating (it had a rusty spot, so chances are sandblasting made a hole there, just next to attachment point) i might use or not use that fender for that project. The alternative is buying new, but to keep the budget low i want to use as many old parts i had as possible.
The precision of the copy will not be perfect, since i am lacking of original chain-wheel that is extremely hard to find here in Europe. The front fender i got has no duck tail, the rear one on Tiki has extra mount on the tip. The kickstand on Mooneyes was similar to early-production Glides, it was attached under the bottom bracket, and the one on Tiki frame is integrated. So a careful eye will see the difference between this replica and original production Mooneyes. But i am not pretending to make it absolutely same, for me the most fun is in the process :) Still i will try to use as many original or same-as-original parts as possible for this build.
Wooh, there is a lot of text! Hope you guys did not get tired reading it :) Soon there will be more pictures i believe!

You could see a little bit of "before" state bike on those pictures:
ec8f4a451987ab86cb16304a70a945c0.jpg

5588093be5350ad495901be48d530e4b.jpg

Great to see another European builder (Greece, France, UK, and now Poland). Can't beat getting a Dyno that cheap. They are great riding frames. Have fun!

Nice haul... I have 144 spoke wheels,they are strong. But they do need to be checked from time to time.
Waiting on more pics of the bike.
And welcome to the build off.
You will fit in just fine.

I have contacted the previous owner of the bike (not the guy who ruined it by re-painting, that was someone even before) asking if he has pictures of it, so i hope he does, then i can show better view of the bike before i have started working on it. But now to give you an idea of how the paint was changed i have taken a picture of original fork, that i am not using in this build.
c8e7726a5bd7cd62a53950e4dafc89b0.jpg

Today i have unpacked the bike after getting it from the powder coating. The wheels came along soo sweet! They have a couple of little imperfections, but considering the fact they were so ugly before, had a lot of water and rust everywhere, i would say it is a great result.
1c446d4f3bd2870329a81aa38b1a8177.jpg

The frame came out nicely as well. Not sure if the guys at the paint shop secured the threaded holes on this one as i asked (forgot to do it myself, i was so excited and in a hurry to paint it :) ) but that is a minor issue, i can always clean them with a thread cutter.
223b55c42a59c710c789b3aa1ba62806.jpg

The fender i was worried about came out fine as i could see. Deep rust indeed left me with a hole right next to one for attachment after sandblasting, but it is so small that i guess it wont cause a problem. It also has a little dent on it, but i think the result is good enough. If i change my mind later i can always buy another one.
Now i need to prepare the stickers, and then i am ready to get frame painted with the second color (yellow) at the other paint shop, the guys who work with spray, since the powder guys only work with powder :)
The masking stickers i can make myself, since i have a plenty of oracal film at home, but the Mooneyes and Dyno logos i'd have to get printed somewhere. Need to research on the cheap places who can do just one A4 of them :) I have already got some vector files for "Dyno" logo at the chainguard and for "Mooneyes" at the seat tube. "Moon" for the top tube is yet to be made.

Found some time to drop by garage today and assemble the hubs!
91e63dbcc9e75d0bec6f3742fc99b6cf.jpg

You can see the color that those wheels was painted before on the brake arm. Unfortunately i did not managed to polish all the spots away from it but it looks more fresh after i have finished definitely! They turn nicely with new grease and some love applied, especially the front one! It can go on for few minutes on inertia. Reassembly went mostly fine, but the rear hub axle has some thread worn off at some place inside the hub. It does not make any problem apart from making it a bit more difficult to take apart and making locking nut necessary for good axle positioning, but those issues are so minor that i decided to keep this axle. So i got myself nice looking and well functioning wheels without paying any extra money for it.
2f8d0f3478f14ebdce7103660e1f2871.jpg

It's good to see a Dyno in the build off.

I lament having to sell mine, but I don't have room for a bunch of bikes. This one I had also didn't have original wheels, had 68 spoked wheels. It's fairly easy to get the year from the serial number, this is a 97.
51107_c50b44e8b49bf5e96c851db5b0e919de.jpg

I was following your build earlier on this forum :) Lovely bike!
Pity they are too small for me to ride.
It's good to see a Dyno in the build off.

I lament having to sell mine, but I don't have room for a bunch of bikes. This one I had also didn't have original wheels, had 68 spoked wheels. It's fairly easy to get the year from the serial number, this is a 97.
View attachment 69217

Witam pyrę, i ja z Poznania.

I'm from Poznań too (just live in Ireland...)

So, i finally got some progress!
First of all i have got a positive response from a print shop about the stickers, they are going to be ready by tomorrow morning. Then i found the matching RAL code for Mooneyes yellow color (aparently it is RAL 1018) so i am getting ready to paint the bike. Today for the first time in my life i have tried to lie down the special flexible masking tape. It did not went as smooth as on youtube videos, possibly because it was -4 C (24 Fahrenheit) in my garage, but i guess i got the idea and the feeling of it :)
8c3dec2ec12be4a4da9c57d8d2142818.jpg

217d3eff31cad8505e6295cfb0b857ff.jpg

3064b691888760e3e33e1a026cffbaea.jpg

Now i only have left to pick the stickers up from the print shop, buy the paint and make the mask for the frame. I am just going to cut some circles out of oracal film i have got at home. Then the bike is ready for painting and assembly!

Last edited:
So, the progress have been kind of slow last week. But i have finally finished preparing the bike for painting and today i am going to the paint shop to arrange the details.
Here i have cut some stickers for masking the color transition places on the frame. I am using regular cheap Oracal film that you can buy in rolls. Got it to try to print my own stickers, but failed because jet printer ink won't stick to it at all :) But at least now i have plenty of that film to use for masking and making white stickers.
a7e967dce81ea643dfdc1ab5746cbd73.jpg

Here the stickers are taking the place on the frame:
831706855ca86e5d2cb7f55721b7d753.jpg

0e8988a1cb5cb5210122ca673459e201.jpg

And here i got my stickers printed in the print-shop. They came out very nice, but were very difficult to cut nicely by scissors. This time i could not use the compass-knife, because i could not have the hole in the middle of the sticker.
109e509e044f6cfb2177e17eb0387c98.jpg

Now i am ready to match the paint color. I got the yellow stripe from my sticker as an example, but as i said in previous post, i have done the calculations beforehand, and my color should be RAL1018.

This is gonna get fun!
EYE SEES WHAT YOU DOIN THERE

Latest posts

Back