The Wolverine (frame swap...)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwissGuy

Professional Amateur Tinkerer
Pro Member
Reaction score
As I see no chance to finish the Cycl'o'path in time, I'll pull a frame swap.

May I present you the Wolverine:

1473284497945-350.jpg

Almost a year ago, I covered this frame and fork with snippets from a Wolverine comic and tried to sell it as it is without any success. Just recently I got my hands on a donor bike and now I'll be able to build it up to a rideable bike. The intention is still to sell it for a good price. I hope the fact, that I "painted" the frame long before the build off doesn't disqualifiy it...

Just to be complete, I found a (almost) before picture from when I covered the frame....

CameraZOOM-20160721115251037.jpg

Here's what happend the last few days:

I got my hands on a donor bike (bottom bracket rusted beyond repair) with a few very useful parts:
SAM_2552.jpg

Donor bike was dissamsembled very quickly. I will use hoops, brakes and handlebar (not shure yet)
I'm rebuilding the wheels now, using the hoops from the above bike, hubs and spokes come from a 26' Herkules ladys bike I got from a friend. So this bike will be a singlespeed with three brakes... ;-) Why? Just because...! :)

So these are the parts I start with:
SAM_2561.jpg

Attachments

• SAM_2556.jpg
    SAM_2556.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 323
  • CameraZOOM-20170705223557409.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20170705223557409.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 310
I say you should have to do a little presentation of how you did that cool frame treatment:nerd::nerd:

Is that the same thing you were going to do with the maps?

Today was wheel building day. I started with two sets of wheels: the ones from the donor bike and a set from a Herkules ladys bike I parted out a long while ago (had to use the bottom bracket for my daily ride...). The plan was to use the rims from the donor and spokes and hubs from the Herkules.
Here are the contenders of todays work:
SAM_2558.jpg

SAM_2559.jpg

Disassembly was no problem at all. The front wheels I did at work, while I was on standby, the back wheels today on our balcony.
CameraZOOM-20170705223355148.jpg

Ok I had some help from one of our feline friends... :)
SAM_2564.jpg

And to have some nice music is never wrong...
SAM_2567.jpg

While the spoke nipples soaked in coke, I cleaned up the spokes and rims with soap, water and some steel wool.
SAM_2565.jpg

SAM_2566.jpg

And finally I laced the spokes into the rims. The front wheel I did with the spoking tutorial open within less than an hour, the back wheel I tried without looking at the tutorial. It took me almost two hours with some trial and error involved. But I'm very satisfied with the result.
SAM_2569.jpg

SAM_2570.jpg

So tomorrow I will bring them to my trusted bicycle mechanic to get them trued...

Last edited:
Lacing them is the hard part, truing them is easy once you get the hang of it.
For me it still feels the other way round.
Was even first thinkin' to do a three lead three tail thread, but stuck to standard then. My mechanic was a bit confused, when I did it the last time. He's not used to "freak bike builders" ;-)

I get the runout with 8 spokes in a cross, 4 on each side., then pull the rest in for the true. The dish is pretty easy to figure out with a little math, then I just set it on the stand before I do the runout. once it's trued loosely you just crank em all the same one turn or whatever around the wheel till it gets tight and then pull up the ones that feel looser than the rest.
I weigh a lot so I true mine pretty tight, I don't use a tension gauge, but you can tell by the "ping" they make when you tap them how even they are.

That frame looks super human!

Looking forward to Wolvie 'clawing' his way back into build status. Enjoy your weekend!

....and, really cool boom box suitcase. One of your creations no doubt! :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear that man, but have fun camping.

I just recently made my move from the south of Germany to the capital. I took two daily riders with me and of course The Wolverine together with its parts box. Just today I finished, what will be my improvised workshop for the next year...
But see for yourselfs:
CameraZOOM-20170805104434290.jpg

my new home away from home:
CameraZOOM-20170808201934735.jpg

the future workshop:
CameraZOOM-20170819154854736.jpg

Latest posts

Back