1958 Hiawatha (AMF) 'Rat-o Chief

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
[URL=http://s5.photobucket.com/user/gowjobs/media/projects/RatRodBikesBuildOff/finished01_zpssqhrxnbl.jpg.html] [/URL]
Started with a purchase of a fairly complete bike, save the wheels. Replaced the low/narrow stock handlebars with the Karfer-built bars from my Astro Supreme project, the bent stock pedals with a pair that I took off of my '62 Typhoon, and added crash bars, knockoff wingnuts, and a set of ebay painted middleweight wheels/tires with a Komet Super rear hub that match the period and colors, if not the exact manufacturer of the bike.
Started with:

And (not much difference) ended up with:

Last edited:
A 'vintage clean' build Dave! Looks like a kid hot-rodded his cruiser back in the day. FWIW, I would use the 3/4 rear close-up shot at the top of the thread (the one that will be chosen for voting). Shows off the bike really well.
Well done :113:

A 'vintage clean' build Dave! Looks like a kid hot-rodded his cruiser back in the day. FWIW, I would use the 3/4 rear close-up shot at the top of the thread (the one that will be chosen for voting). Shows off the bike really well.

agree, 3rd pic down should be Pic 1
It's such a great looking bike, WoW.
:thumbsup:

agree, 3rd pic down should be Pic 1
It's such a great looking bike, WoW.
Done! I was thinking that I might shoot some more pics before voting, but I agree with you guys: that one looks like the prime shot. I'm glad you guys like it - I guess not every build has to be radical.

I agree with the guys; one of these should be your money pic. Nicely done build!
finished02_zpsmmgqkbgb.jpg

finished01_zpssqhrxnbl.jpg

[QUOTE="gowjobs, post: 1036292, I guess not every build has to be radical.[/QUOTE]

No, it doesn't , but it's ok if it is...:happy:
I prefer simple clean lines, rather than a lot of space age junk, but that doesn't mean I don't admire them..just a preference. Luckily, preferences are subject to change on a weekly basis...depending on what I see next. lol

Yeah, we vote the third pic..lovely
franco

[QUOTE="gowjobs, post: 1036292, I guess not every build has to be radical.

No, it doesn't , but it's ok if it is...:happy:
I prefer simple clean lines, rather than a lot of space age junk, but that doesn't mean I don't admire them..just a preference. Luckily, preferences are subject to change on a weekly basis...depending on what I see next. lol
franco
I'm generally about figure and form, too. This time though, I just thought it needed to look like something a junior high school kid might have bolted together using his paper route earnings. Truth be told, it's likely to have the accessories and bars removed, and be sent down the road to somebody else before spring is over. For now, I'll just enjoy toodling around on it a little.

"this time though, I just thought it needed to look like something a junior high school kid might have bolted together using his paper route earnings ", ...exactly, that's what I had in mind when building the Monteratt..(you nailed it with that sentence)...I know that I wanted to feel like I was just a kid, dragged the bike into the basement to use some of Dad's tools...
prying or eliminating something just to keep it ridin' for another day

Thats a nice one man it all just fits perfectly and those bars !!! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Looks familiar, did you buy that from someone here on the forum ?

Great og bike to start with just the right amount of bling added.
The crash bars and the karfer bars really make the bike!!!
Nice work man!

Looks familiar, did you buy that from someone here on the forum ?
Yep. Well, the original frame, fork, fenders, rack, cranks, stem, bars, etc. I grabbed a set of middleweight drop center wheels with Komet hubs from eBay, and then started adding some bolt-ons that I had stashed away.

Latest posts

Back