Murray Wildcat? Bike I.D. Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a friend looking for an old bike just like the one she had growing up. She gave me this picture and I haven't been able to come up with definite answer. I'm leaning toward a mid 60's Murray Wildcat due to the point at the rear of the frame. The white wheels are throwing me off too, haven't found any with white wheels. What do you guys think?
710072782c8367878a5cfde3de5693f4.jpg

Thanks!

Sent from my 0PAJ5 using Tapatalk
I was thinking, if she grew up with it, she should remember the name on the chain guard. It shouldn't be too hard to find one, or get a Murray made bike like that and paint it red. They were the same 20" bike for the most part.

That was the first thing I asked her but she just couldn't remember. The Buzz Bike makes sense as we had a Western Auto close by. The head badge looks pretty darn close too. I own a Buzz Bike III and the frame is different so that wasn't even a thought in my mind. She has me on the hunt for a red one so I'm keeping my eye out. Thanks again.

Sent from my 0PAJ5 using Tapatalk

Looking again, the head badge is unmistakable, it's a Western Flyer for sure.

There were a lot of them made, so finding one is a possibility. You might even find hers, just look for the white wheels. Did she say what happened to hers?

Definitely Murray made , the pointed rear dropouts are the tell tale sign, I also had one growing up mine was purple , so in your surch for hers if you happen to run across one let me kno , good luck on helping your friend out , the search is part of the fun .

Rafael

Looking again, the head badge is unmistakable, it's a Western Flyer for sure.

There were a lot of them made, so finding one is a possibility. You might even find hers, just look for the white wheels. Did she say what happened to hers?
She didn't remember that either. She got into dirt bikes and forgot about the bike for many years but I've been posting a lot on facebook about bikes and just sparked her interest again. Hopefully, I'll run across one.

Well, I stumbled across a Murray Wildcat the other day on Facebook, the right color and everything. Hers may have been a Western Flyer but she is beyond happy with the find. It was delivered to me today, I got it together, a bit of polishing and will deliver it tomorrow. If she doesn't want it, I'd love to keep it, neat little bike.
3a67ca7b92c7c1f7ffbb2f5af71bdde2.jpg

They are cool bikes for sure, I was hoping she'd back out so I could hang on to it but better yet, she loved it. Once she got here, she hopped on it and took off, so cool. I might have to keep my eye out for another for myself. Muttley, looks like they could be siblings.
8be5d2bc258c8dafd8a50f6e85476abb.jpg

Cool deal. I moved the sissy bar on mine back to the fender(?) holes. I though it looked a little better with the sissy not being at an angle and now it doesn't cover the tip of the chain guard either. I also used a Schwinn front wheel because the hub on the Murray one was cracked. It was kind of a bummer since the Murray is in such nice shape otherwise and also has a really cool tire on it. Someday I'll replace the hub and stick it on the Wildcat.

Latest posts

Back