New to fatbikes and cruisers. Need advice!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I am thinking about buying a beach cruiser (but to use in the city also). Since I understand they are on the "heavy" side, I'm gonna need at least three speeds right? Also, shall I go for suicide shift? I want to order one made from Ruff Cycles and ship it to Panama. Any advice?

It is nice to have 3 speeds sometimes, but not because the bike is heavy. Method of shifter is total preference. Many peeps like the shifter at the grip. However, the shifter mounted close to the rear tire is pretty cool as well. Suicide linkage on the side of the top tube, well.

So which Ruff frame are you planning to purchase? Tango, Parucho, Dean? Assuming you are creating a build sheet at least in your head. What components do you plan use with that frame? Powder coat or paint? Bars? Have you found a builder? Or all Ruff?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanka for your comments buddy. Helpful.

I am leaning towards Basman or Dean. But have a problem: i would like a "beach look" to it but also a "mean" style. Don't know if I can reconcile both in one bike.

Would like a straight, short bar, probable color combo of black and red, fat tires (black with white), hand brake, a small bluetooth speaker beneath the seat, cup holder...more or less, that is my current vision. Since in my country we have no shops handling this kind of work I'm gonna have to have built by someone and sent to me from the US. No builder at the time. Any recommendations?
It is nice to have 3 speeds sometimes, but not because the bike is heavy. Method of shifter is total preference. Many peeps like the shifter at the grip. However, the shifter mounted close to the rear tire is pretty cool as well. Suicide linkage on the side of the top tube, well.

So which Ruff frame are you planning to purchase? Tango, Parucho, Dean? Assuming you are creating a build sheet at least in your head. What components do you plan use with that frame? Powder coat or paint? Bars? Have you found a builder? Or all Ruff?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can go on ebay and get a ruffs frame.
2016-01-13.jpg
0930190715.jpg

Five speeds works best for me. Better for fighting coastal headwinds than a 3 speed.

Check ebay, five-speeds aren't much more (new) than three-speeds (new).

I picked up a Torker U-District locally that was a theft recovery. The guy got it back several months later (was new when stole), scratched up and missing a piece of shifter linkage...but, otherwise still in near new condition. It has a 5-speed Sturmey Archer rear, and S-A drum brake front hub on it. $80 for the whole bike, will get to use the hubs on another project and have a nice chromoly frame/fork for a future single speed build :bigsmile:.

Jason

@RookAC , if you are looking for a custom cruiser with a mean look, but still a beach bike, check out Demon bikes from Arizona Wholesale Bikes. I worked there part-time this past winter, and Scotty (the owner) developed this model which has a really cool modern vibe with the shaped tubing. Still has a beach cruiser look to it, and can be transformed into just about anything by swapping out a few components.

Here is the link to his facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/BeachCruiserBicyclesAtArizonaWholesaleBikes/

Latest posts

Back