TRADITIONAL Midnight Flash

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Top of the sissy had a dent.
7BCD2A26-9D22-46C3-BCF2-58809BE3DA45.jpeg

So welded in some patch and smoothed it out. Just about ready for chrome.
F97891A4-BC22-421D-A08B-451BEBA74FC9.jpeg

At first I was thinking of adding a welded tab to give it a cleaner installed look. But I think the caliper needs a good bit of adjustment and play to get right, so I think I’m going to stick with a frame strap.
263F9EB2-8537-4E5F-9CB3-580DFAE0DB30.jpeg

The rotor has a very slight warp, but I don’t know if it can be trued. I think with enough space between the pads it won’t bind.

Maybe I’m thinking too much into this. It seems like it’s a sure thing, but…

When I take the wheel off, the caliper flops. Originally it’s supposed to have a derailleur nut and bolt that fits into the dropout to hold that mounting arm that fits over the axle in place. But it’s not designed for a 20” frame. So instead I was thinking about drilling a hole through the dropout and mounting arm, and tapping the mounting arm with like a small M5. But I’m worried about the aesthetics with a little bolt head staring at you when the dropout will be black.

Hmmmm maybe I should get a black bolt?

X marks the spot.
2F8F5B12-C31F-49CB-9E23-C9A903160B38.jpeg

You could drill/tap the dropout, put the bolt through from the back and cut/file the bolt. Not sure if you have enough material but if it’s just to keep it from flopping around might be ok.

@CRASH , I don't know what you use for an alignment tool but I made one from a couple of axles that fit those big diameter pegs the BMXers stand on. They are adjustable and the bigger dia. makes it easier to push/pull on to align. I"ll try to remember to throw one together this weekend and post on tips n tricks.

That’s a few steps ahead. Have to solve the caliper installation problem, then finish dropout alignment. Then drivetrain

My local hardware store has those button cap screws in a variety of sizes in black.

I'm intrigued by your disc brake set up. I've never seen a caliper like that one; or disc for that matter. Has a very 'muscly' vibe to it!

And your freewheel set up on the other side is just as cool. Along the way, tell us a little more about this event / show you are entering this build into. Sounds like there will be entries from many different genres?

Back